Who is the coming antichrist, according to Scripture?
1. Jesus says this age will begin to come to an end shortly following the world's greatest catastrophe, which itself follows the revealing of the "abomination of desolation."
2. Jesus points us to the prophet Daniel for preliminary definitions of that abomination.
3. In Daniel we are introduced to Antiochus Epiphanes who began an anti-God, anti-Jew campaign decades before Christ appeared.
4. Gabriel leads us to believe that though Antiochus began his career in ancient history, his final blasphemous rise to power will be at the end of all things.
5. The abomination of desolation, the sacking of Jerusalem, the persecution of believers, spoken of by Daniel the prophet is fully orchestrated by Antiochus in a three and one half year period of supernatural power.
6. John confirms all by using the same visual demonstration that there will arise such an evil man, who will do the same destruction, the same persecution, the same blasphemies, in the same time frame as Daniel has already recorded. He will even rise to power from the same "Great Sea." John and Daniel agree.
7. John lets us know that the final world dictator will be one who has been raised from the dead, thus allowing for one who began in antiquity to end in the last days. He will be the eighth of a line of antichrists, yet one of the original seven too.
8. Paul agrees with all of the above, using the man of sin and his abomination as the sign that must happen before Jesus comes. Thus he says exactly what Jesus said.
9. Paul says that even now this one is being held back, so that he will be revealed at the right time in history.
The evidence is then clear and concise. There are things all along the way that we cannot quite figure out. Like, exactly how shall he appear? But then, we believe Elijah shall return and we do not allow that question to stop us from believing it. Our faith tells us that, as a detail is needed , it will be provided.
For now it seems to me important for us to take on a last-days mind-set that is more accurate than that with which we were raised. It demands more faith, more acceptance of the Word as is, less "explaining away" of hard things. But a solid faith has always demanded this. May the Lord keep our eyes open, ready to see and know what is happening in God's plan.
http://chosunhouse.com is a website I put together a few months back to get the word out to believers that they need to pray for North Korea. Just about every day I'm writing a blog featuring some news, a book, or a story of North Korea. There's a live news feed on the site, lists of resources, picture essays, and ways to respond to the overwhelming need in North Korea. Let's love Chosun together!
And who am I? A man found of God over 50 years ago, called to the ministry, serving the Lord as needed in my world. Married, member of a local church in the Chicago area, with full time work in public education. Who are you? Would love to fellowship with believers who respond on my site.