Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Faith Healing and the Catholic Church - Narrative Part 2 of 5

NARRATIVE (Continued from part 1)

It was relatively a short time after we lost our son that
Norvel Hayes came to speak at our local FGBMFI. He showed me
through his teaching that I could look at a verse and still
miss something quite obvious. He was teaching on Matthew 15
where the Canaanite woman is first ignored by Jesus and then
later Jesus grants her what she wanted. Norvel rhetorically
asked how her second approach was different from her earlier
approach and I could not see it. He had to point out the very
word before I got it.

This Scripture will be discussed later in this document but
for now I am just relating that I then realized how important
a teacher is. While I was just reading the Scripture on my
own, I was somehow blinded from the clear teaching of what I
was reading. It was only when the teacher pointed out the
critical element was I able to see what was hidden in plain
sight.

Norvel was not doing any tricky interpretation nor any out of
context misuse of Scripture. All Scripture references were
clear primary meanings taken in obvious context. All of the
teaching was based on the concept that if the Bible said it
then it was true. It then went the next step and said that if
Scripture contradicts reality and you continuously affirm
Scripture, that contradiction goes away by reality changing to
conform to the Word of God.

Norvel got me thinking more and more about the faith teaching.
He was good friends with Kenneth Hagin. Norvel related how
that Ken was healed of incurable blood disease as a young
Baptist boy by acting on Mark 11:23 and 24. I obtained many
books and tapes by Ken Hagin and studied them with my open
Bible. Ken even said that if you believe this because I say
it, it won't work. You have to believe it because the Bible
says it. I assured myself that the teaching was 100 percent
in line with Scripture and I developed my belief system based
solely on Scripture even though it took teachers to show it to
me in Scripture.

(continued in part 3 of 5)

This is part of a FREE 23 page document, Faith Healing Consistent with the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which can be found in the Cooperation Among Christian Denominations section of the Independent Christian website.

The document does not speak for the Catholic Church but the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) does. The CCC is quoted and the footnotes are followed where they are often linked to Scripture. It is suggested that the reader have available both the CCC and his/her Bible and see whether the representations are correct.

Doug Johnson has been writing and online publishing Christian and Social Conservative articles since the 1990's on http://www.IndependentChristian.org/

Doug has been a Bible believing Evangelical Christian since childhood. He has been received into fellowship with the Evangelical Free Church, the Plymouth Brethern, the Assembly of God, the American Baptist, and the Southern Baptist.

In the early 2000's, he was received into full communion with the Catholic Church after careful study of the Catholic Catechism and the Bible. He believes Catholics and Bible believing Protestants should build on what they have in common rather than looking at what is different.

He is presently helping to establish the Independent Christian On-Line Academy at: http://www.ICOLA.us

Doug has an online retail wallpaper business at: http://www.TheWallpaperPirate.com/

Doug is available as a consultant and or speaker. To reach him, use the Contact Us page at any of the above websites.

No comments: